Sunday, October 31, 2010

An Ex-Pat Halloween (Week 8)

Week 8 of the term was packed with lab activities for my students. I think all my poster making and lab activity flaunting in the staff room has finally started to pay off because one of the other biology teachers came to me and wanted to plan a fairly complicated lab activity with the students. I was really excited by this, so this week we had all the form 2 students dissect a liver (which we just finished studying) lungs (studied them last term) and then tested the tissue for the presence and concentration of catalase (enzyme) by placing them in hydrogen peroxide and watching the catalase do its magic as it changes the hydrogen peroxide to oxygen and water. The next day in class we discussed the practical as a class and it was one of the first times that my students have really been able to synthesize their observations into biological conclusions and I was so happy to see their critical thinking skills improving. Then, after a long week of teaching, practicals and secondary project work, I headed to Kisumu to celebrate Halloween with a bunch of PCVs and some other ex-pat friends who are in the area. It wasn't all fun and games though, I did do some work on the sessions that I am going to be teaching at the new education groups training when I head back to Loitokitok in a few weeks, but more on that later. Here are some pictures from the halloween party, Mike and I dressed up as the Green Monkey from the Nickeloden tv show Legends of the Hidden Temple, and if you don't get the reference to one of the best shows of my childhood than I don't know if we can be friends. Mike and I actually won the costume contest at the party!

Happy Halloween


Jenny in her Jack-O-Lantern costume that she sewed herself!

Jenny, Me and Whitney the cavewoman


Green Monkeys! We're going to take the grand prize and go to SPACE CAMP!
(big shout out to Whitney for drawing our monkeys and making the lovely medallions that will save us from the temple gaurds)


Neil as a mzungu (white person/tourist), Rich, Amber the flapper and the jack-o-lantern
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment