Sunday, September 20, 2009

KENYA! It's finally official!



KENYA!


I have finally received my official invitation to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer! I will be serving in Kenya as a secondary school science teacher, and I could not be more excited. And, I am happy to say that this blog, which started as a documentation of my application process, will now be my official "newsletter" to all my loved ones at home while I am in the Peace Corps.

I leave for Staging on November 2nd (soooo soon!) and will then fly to Africa for Pre-service Training for 3 months before being sworn in (if I make the grade) in January 2010. I will then serve as a volunteer for 2 years in a secondary school somewhere in Kenya! Making my end of service date sometime in January 2012. WOW!

I have so much to get done before leaving, including moving, going on vacation, buying skirts to wear to work in Kenya, buying a ton of other PC essentials (leatherman, headlamp etc.) and leaving my job at the lab (I gave my two weeks notice on Friday). But, I am so excited and looking forward to this amazing adventure.

WHAT A RELIEF! IT'S FINALLY OFFICIAL! YAY!

And a hugggggggggggge thank you to my family, friends and coworkers who have encouraged me through the entire application process!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Christine, I think you and I are going to be going to Kenya with the same group. :)

    My name is Caitlin Brown and my e-mail addy is quantumgates@gmail.com (sorry, couldn't find your contact info, so I hope you get to read this comment).

    I found your blog thru a Google search and I will keeping a blog about my Kenya adventures too. I also have a BS in biology. Hopefully we can get in touch soon, as I too am a little overwhelmed with trying to find appropriate clothing, gear, teaching materials, etc.

    Hoping to talk with you soon,

    Caitlin Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenya is wonderful.. I spent 10 months as a volunteer ( not in PC) and loved every minute of it. I'd go back in a hearbeat ( Ya hear that PC.. send me back!).

    If you have any questions about PC.. you can find me on Peace Corps Connect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have said questions about Kenya ( I am a nominee for PC, not in yet)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an RPCV from Kenya in secondary science teaching--without a doubt the best thing I've ever done. I came back about 7 years ago, and a lot has changed in the meantime, but if you have any questions about the whole process, feel free to drop me a line--mbryant325@gmail.com.

    Take care, and good luck!

    Matt Bryant

    ReplyDelete